Attractions

foto (5).jpgfoto (4).jpg3.jpg

images.jpgbai12.jpgimages.jpg

History of the city began from the foundation of wintering place by Russian Cossacks to collect tribute in furs from the local population in 1666. Wintering place was located on the right shore of the Selenga River at its fall with the Uda River. In 1678 it was already known as Udinsky Ostrog. In 1775 Verkhneudinsk was awarded the status of a town and got an emblem according to the charter of liberties for cities of Ekaterina II. In July 27, 1934 the town was renamed in Ulan-Ude (translation from the Buryat language - "Red Uda" from hydronym "Ude", which, in turn, according to one version, translated as "noon").





Lenin's monument


Sculptural statue of the head of the Soviet Union founder is erected in the center of the city on Soviets square. It is the largest image of Lenin head in the world.



Lenin.jpg

Buryat Academic Opera and Ballet Theatre


It is one of the most beautiful buildings in Ulan-Ude, "landmark" of the Republic of Buryatia. The building is an architectural monument of federal significance.

History of the building construction began in 1934, when a draft of the Mansion of socialist culture was developed by A.N. Fedorov architect of the architectural project workshops of the Moscow City Council for the capital of the Buryat-Mongol Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic. The new project "Music and Drama Theatre" with a hall for 750 seats was developed by Fedorov in 1936. Launched in 1938, the construction work was suspended. It was supposed to resume construction in the 1940-1941 years, but the Great Patriotic War has prevented to it. To the end of 1945 the theater project was redesigned: the capacity increased up to 800 people. Construction work was carried out from 1945 to 1951.

The first gala concert and gala night was held in the theater in May 1, 1952, and from the 7th of November the theater began to give performances.


teatr.jpeg





Ivolginsky Datsan


Ivolginsky datsan is a monastery complex consisting of seven temples, Buddhist University, tombs of lamas, ecclesiastic housing, library and museum. There is the residence of the head of Russian Buddhists – Pandito Khambo Lama.

Ivolginski datsan was opened in 1945, becoming the only Buddhist center in the Soviet Union. It was erected by Lamas released from Stalin's camps. Faithful helped ecclesiastics, raising funds for the construction throughout the republic. The first building of the future complex was a wooden house, which later got the appearance of the temple. Officially the territory for the temple complex was separated by Buddhists in 1951.


dats.jpg


Saint Odigitrievsky Cathedral


It is the main Orthodox temple in Ulan-Ude. At the beginning of the XVIII century there was the graveyard church near the place where the Cathedral now stands; in 1741 a stone church has begun to build. The lower aisle was ready in 1770, and the top - in 1785. It was one of the first stone buildings in Ulan-Ude. In 1929 the church was closed, the premises were given to the first anti-religious museum, then to the local history museum, and after that to the Museum of the History of Buryatia. Movements for the return of the church began only in the 90s of the last century.


sobor.jpg

Ethnographic Museum of Transbaikalia


The museum is located near Ulan-Ude, in the suburbs. This is an open-air museum, where the samples of the traditional buildings of these locations and reconstructed dwellings are collected. The exhibition is divided into several complexes: archeological, Evenk, Buryat, Old Believers, old residents, city. The museum has a pets’ corner where you can watch bear, wolf, deer, roe deer and other animals. As in any other ethnographic museum different holidays and celebrations are spent there.


ethno.JPG

Place of Ulan-Ude city foundation (Verkhneudinsk)


The place is situated on the cliffed shore of the Uda River, near the road bridge. Just at that place in 1666 Verkheudinsky Ostrog was built, around which Verkhneudinsk city developed (now Ulan-Ude). Memorial headstone and Orthodox cross prove about these events

birth place.jpg

Tsar's Triumph Gates


It was constructed in 2006 at the top of Lenin Street, where the Arch in honor of Tsesarevich Nikolai II was erected by merchants in the 19th century.


gates.jpg

Sculpture of “Mother Buryatia”


First it was erected in front of Buryat State Opera and Ballet Theatre. Buryatia is depicted as Woman-Mother image keeping in hands khadak the symbol of hospitality. In summer of 2008 the sculptural composition was moved at the beginning of the Selenginsky Bridge and now Hospitable Mother Buryatia welcomes all who enter the city from Transbakalia and Irkutsk oblast.

mother.jpg

Yanzhima is a unique Buddhist sanctuary in Barguzin valley


One kilometer from Yarikta village of Barguzin valley there is a stone cliff, on which an image of dancing goddess has appeared in May 2005. Acheiropaeic image has appeared before Pandito Khambo-Lama Damba Ayusheev when he together with lamas of Traditional Buddhist sangha was finding Buddhist relics which were hidden there in the repression times, also when they defined a place for the future datsan. It has to be said that before in a split of the rock people has found ritual pyramid depicting 1000 Buddhas which denoted special meaning of the place. It is said in that same place the Divine World meets People World.

imgres.jpg

Zandan Zhuu (Sandal Buddha)

Sandal Buddha or Sandal Master is a sculpture of Buddha about 2, 18 meters high, it is made of Sandal tree on commission from rajah Uddiyany 2500 years ago, according to the legends. It is in the Egituisky monastery (datsan) in Buryatia.

It is a Buddhist sanctuary and is considered to be the one which is made during the lifetime of Buddha. According to Buddhist tradition it is considered as alive Buddha - his images bring grace. The statue has a special iconography: Buddha stands, long-armed to the knees, among flowers and scenery, human Buddha, similar to Maitreya Buddha.

With the support of the Metropol Group of Companies the new temple was built for the statue of Zandan Zhuu in Eravninsky district.


imgres.jpg
Khishigtens Warriors

The word Khishigten from Mongolian can be translated as a guardsman. Tumen is Mongolian military element which equals to ten thousand people. There is no any similar face among the Khishigten sculptures as well as in the Terracotta Army. Those who wish can even commission a sculpture with their faces. Mongol people give such an opportunity to honorary guests. Today there are bronze sculptures of Khishigtens of honor guard near the building of Buryat Business Center.

_MRK3017.jpg